1. When answering the phone we want to do this with some enthusiasm! “Good morning! Thank you for calling ________ how can I help you?”
2. When speaking to your customer on the phone, make sure to use their name more than once throughout the duration of the call. This conveys to the caller that you do in fact appreciate them, and that they are not just a dollar sign to your company.
3. Keep the caller engaged in conversation if you are trying to pull up information or something of similar nature while they are on the phone. “How are you doing today?” Whatever you do, don’t let the caller sit in silence while you sort through things.
4. Avoid using phrases like “Okay” or “All right.” You want to convey to the customer that you are happy to help them with whatever it is that they need try phrases like “My pleasure,” “Absolutely” or “Certainly”
5. Good manners are a must have when answering calls– using “may” instead of “can” makes for a more professional and pleasurable experience for callers.
6. Try to avoid putting callers on hold for an extended period of time. If this is unavoidable make sure to check back with the caller periodically to let them know you have not forgotten about them.
7. Focus on the positive. Avoid using “No” or “Can’t” For instance, instead of telling a caller “Mr. Smith can’t talk right now,” choose something like “Mr. Smith stepped out of the office for a moment, but I’d be happy to transfer you to his Voicemail or take down your information and ask him give you a call.”
8. When taking a message. Avoid telling the caller that someone will be calling them back immediately, unless you know for a fact that someone will be doing so. Try telling the caller that you will get the message to the intended individual right away and they will get back to them as soon as they are able.
9. ALWAYS end the call on a positive note. “Thank you so much for calling John, I hope you have a great rest of your day!”
Remember to implement these 9 tips into your everyday phone calls and you won’t be disappointed with what your customers have to say about your company’s professional phone presence!